Monday, May 18, 2009

Life without TV

We don't currently have the TV hooked up at our house. Since DH doesn't have a steady job/income yet, we are really pinching pennies and honestly, TV is a "luxury" and nothing more. I suppose if we hooked up some rabbit ears or some foil and an old wire coat hanger, we might still pull in a few local stations, but can't do that after June 12th anyway, so it's a mute point. But as for cable or satellite, we can't justify spending that money right now.

Had you asked me 6 months ago to give up TV entirely, I would have balked at it and probably laughed outright! But, living without it now by necessity, I find I am not missing it like I thought I would. The biggest "gap" for me is not having news to watch while I'm in the kitchen getting dinner ready. I especially like to keep up with the weather that way. What surprises me the most is that the kids are not complaining about having no TV!!! Now there's a shocker!! lol!

Actually, we all find that - surprise! - there are actually a lot of other neat things to do! DH and I have been reading a lot more. The kids are playing outside more (admittedly helped by the nice Florida weather) and using Legos and drawing and such. We still have our collection of videos and DVDs, and will pop those in once in a while, but everything we own is wholesome and family-friendly, too!

Now, ask me to give up my Internet....That's a whole other story! ;)

2 comments:

Mikki said...

Yea for you.

We got rid of cable a couple months back and we are doing fine. Of course there is always plenty of Disney movies at hand and other great stuff to do :-)

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Isnt' it freeing? We gave up cable about 6 years ago and never looked back. We, like you, have a DVD player and hand picked movies. It's a beautiful thing my friend and you can always check the weather online! LOL.
Hugs.
Kim

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.