Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Hellloooo??!

Wow, I have been super busy the last several days! I've been hopping on the computer to read some message boards (the DIS, of course!) but haven't really had time to sit down and blog.

Sorry, little blog! :(

The bird count went well. I didn't see anything exotic or unusual this year, but it was fun nonetheless. Species and total counts are as follows:

  • Blue Jay - 17
  • Junco - 6
  • Chickadee - 6
  • Goldfinch - 3
  • Pine Siskin - 2
  • Titmouse - 2
  • Cardinal - 2
  • Dove - 1

I have really enjoyed watching the birds from this little house. I've gotten to know what kinds of birds hang out here all year, which ones come and go, and have come to the conclusion that God made Blue Jays such a pretty blue because if they weren't so nice to look at, they would be just plain irritating!!!! LOL! The flock that lives here is probably a family to some extent. It's gotten larger over the years and when I toss old bread out into the back yard, watch out!...it's like Alfred Hitchcock with them coming in from every direction and descending upon the ground! I'm going to keep up my birding habits when we move, wherever that happens to be. If it does indeed end up being Florida, I'll have a great time because there are so many neat birds down there.

Oh, and on a very happy note, yesterday morning the Chickadees and Titmice were singing their spring songs for the first time this year! Who needs a silly ol' groundhog when you've got birds.

1 comment:

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

We see a lot of the same birds but we have more doves than anything. We actually saw a bald eagle fly right over our house the other day with a fish in it's claws. That was cool!! I hate Blue Jays!! Okay maybe hate is a strong word but I really son't like them. I've seen them raid a cardinals next and kill the baby bird that was in it! I was so mad.
They are pretty though but yes annoyingly loud as well!!!
Big hugs my friend.
Kim

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.